Download PDF of CV
Ph.D. in Earth Sciences, University of Minnesota – June, 2018
M.A. in Anthropology, Minor in GIS, University of Minnesota – 2013
University of Minnesota Distinguished Master’s Thesis Award, Social Sciences – 2014
B.Sc. in Natural Resource Management & Environmental Studies, Minor in Forest Resources, University of Minnesota – 1996
Research Interests & Specialties
- Earth Science and Archaeology
- Paleomagnetism and Archaeomagnetism
- Geochronology and Cosmogenic Isotopes
- Material Characterization
- Polarized Light Microscopy
- Skeletal and Ceramics Analysis
- Biogeography and Natural History
- Education & Community Outreach
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration
- Bronze & Iron Age Near East
Faculty, Professor of Geology, Dougherty Family College, University of St. Thomas, Mpls., MN
- Environmental Geology GEOL 115, 2018 to present
Laboratory Instructor of Record, University of Minnesota
- Earth and It’s Environments: Introduction to Geology, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Spring 2014, Laboratory Instructor and Lab Manager Summer 2016
- Dinosaurs and Our World, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Spring 2018, Laboratory Instructor.
- Institute for Rock Magnetism Summer School for graduate students, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Summer 2015
- Principles of GIS, Dept. of Geography, Fall 2012
- Introduction to Archaeology, Dept. of Anthropology, Fall 2011
- Human Evolution, Dept. of Anthropology, Spring 2010
- Biogeography of the Global Garden, Dept. of Geography, Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Spring 2013
Teaching Assistant, University of Minnesota
- Natural Hazards and Disasters, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Spring 2015 and 2016
- Prairie Wood Environmental Learning Center, Willmar, MN 2003-2005. Environmental and natural history educator specializing in wetland, wildlife, and prairie biology, forestry, and archaeology classes, hands-on outdoor education, curriculum development, working with diverse populations, community outreach, and interpretive trail sign design.
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Sibley State Park, Willmar, MN 2001-2003. Environmental and natural history educator specializing in wildlife, plant, and wetland biology, glacial geology of MN informal hands-on education to diverse populations, curriculum development, community outreach and public event planning.
- University of Minnesota Extension Service, Glenwood, MN, 2003-2008. Public educator and speaker, prairie and wetland/lake management specialist.
- Minnesota Zoological Gardens, Apple Valley, MN, 1997-1998. Interpretive naturalist, public and K-12 educator working with diverse populations.
- Bell Museum of Natural History, Mpls., MN, 1995-1996. Interpretive naturalist, public and K-12 educator working with diverse populations.
K-12 STEM Educator
- Minnewaska & Benson Area Public Schools, MN 2002-2005. Substitute teacher for math, science, biology, and social studies classes, working with diverse populations and at-risk students.
Invited Guest Lectures
- Archaeomagnetism: North Central University, Mpls., MN, 2017, 2016, 2015
- Magnetism for Educators: Bakken Museum, Mpls., MN, 2017
- Archaeomagnetism: Macalester College Dept. of Geology, St. Paul, MN, 2014
- Geochronology in the Levant: Madison Biblical Archaeological Society, Madison, WI, November 2013
- Podcast Interview: The Book and the Spade Podcast, November 2013
- Biedermann, A.R., Jackson, M., Stillinger, M.D., Bilardello, D., and Feinberg, J.M. 2020. Anisotropy of full and partial anhysteretic remanence across different rock types: 1. Are partial anhysteretic remanence anisotropy tensors additive? Tectonics, in press
- Jelinski, N.A., Sousa, M.J., Williams, A., GreyBear, E., Finnesand, K., Mulligan, D., Cole, C., Stillinger, M.D., Feinberg, J.M. 2019. Cryoturbation and carbon stocks in gelisols under late-successional black spruce forests of the Copper River Basin, Alaska. Soil Science Society of American Journal, Vol 83, No. 6, pp. 1760-1778
- Stillinger, M.D., Feinberg, J.M., Ben-Yosef, E., Shaar, R., Hardin, J.W., Blakely, J.A. 2018. A Rejoinder on the Value of Archaeomagnetic Dating; Integrative Methodology is the Key to Addressing Levantine Iron Age Chronology, Near Eastern Archaeology, Vol 81, Issue 2 pp. 141-144.
- Stillinger, M.D., Hardin, J.W., Feinberg, J.M., Blakely, J.A. 2016. Archaeomagnetism as a complementary dating technique to address the Iron Age chronology debate in the Levant. Near Eastern Archaeology, Vol 79, Issue 2, pp. 90-106. Download Article
- Stillinger, M.D., Feinberg J.M., Frahm, E. 2015. Refining the Archaeomagnetic Dating Curve for the Near East: New Intensity Data from Bronze Age Ceramics at Tell Mozan, Syria, Journal of Archaeological Science, Vol 53, pp. 345-355. Download Article
- Stillinger, M.D. 2015. “Diatomaceous Earth” Technical Bulletin, Tennant Company, Minneapolis, MN.
- Stillinger, M.D. 2013. Thesis: Archaeomagnetic Dating of Bronze Age Pottery from Tell Mozan, Syria.
- Stillinger, M.D. 2012. From Taboons to Teslas: Adventures in Levantine Archaeomagnetism, Society for Archaeological Sciences Bulletin, 35:4
- Stillinger, M.D and Soderberg, J. 2010. 3D Interactive Video of MN Historical Society’s Delisle Globe.
Lacustrine Mineralogy of the Copper River Basin, Alaska: grain counting, volcanic glass identification, and petrographic imaging. PI: Nicolas Jelinski, University of Minnesota Department of Soil, Water, & Climate. 2017 to present
Archaeomagnetic Dating in the Levant, Tel el-Hesi and Tel Gezer Regional Archaeology Projects, Israel: paleomagnetic specialist, undergraduate student supervisor, and excavator. PIs: James W. Hardin, Misssissippi State University, Jeffrey Blakely, University of Wisconsin, Steve Ortiz, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. 2012 to present
Characterization of Prehistoric Native American Ceramics from Cherry Valley, Missouri, Science Museum of Minnesota’s Collection: electron microprobe analysis and petrographic imaging of mineral surface deposits. Co-PIs: Ed Fleming, Science Museum of Minnesota and Gilliane Monnier, University of Minnesota. 2016
Geological Field Training, Dillion, Montana: mapping and field identification of geological structures. University of Minnesota. 2016
Paleointensity of Dobi Section Lava Flows (1-3.5 Ma) of the Afar Depression, Ethiopia. PI: Tesfaye Kidane, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia. 2015
Diatomaceous Earth and its Effects on Human Health: anthropologist and Earth scientist consultant and report author for Tennant Company, Mpls., MN. 2015
Bronze Age Serbian Tumulus Burials, Western Serbia: excavator, surveying assistant, and ceramics analysis. Director: Arthur Bankoff, Brooklyn College, CUNY. 2010
Great Moravian Empire at Pohonsko, Czech Republic: excavation with College of Dupage, Chicago, IL. 2006
Forestry Field Training: timber cruising, resource management design, mapping, surveying, plant identification. Itasca Biological Station, University of Minnesota. 1995
- University of Minnesota Distinguished Master’s Thesis Award, 2014
- Richard Hay Student Poster Award, Geological Society of America, 2011
- NSF MRI Instrumentation Grant for SEM, Co-PI, 2020
- Earth Sciences Dept. Subir Banerjee Fellowship 2016
- Earth Sciences Dept. Frederick M. Swain Memorial Fellowship, 2015-2016
- Geological Society of America Student Research Grant, 2012 and 2014
- Cobb Institute of Archaeology, Summer Research Grant, 2014
- Earth Sciences Dept. Forrest Fellowship, 2014-2015 and 2015-2016
- Earth Sciences Dept. Allan and Eleanor Martini Fellowship, 2014-2015
- Earth Sciences Dept. Rama Murthy/Janice Noruk Fellowship for Women, 2014-2015
- Kerry Kelts Student Conference Travel Grant, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Earth Sciences Dept. Zoltai Graduate Fellowship, 2013-2014
- 2G Superconducting Rock Magnetometers discrete and U-channel varieties
- Princeton Vibrating Sample Magnetometers
- Magnetic Properties Measurement System (MPMS)
- AGICO, KappaBridge, and Magnon Variable Frequency Susceptibility Meters
- ASC furnaces and various demagnetizers
- JEOL Scanning Electron Microprobe
- Leica Microscope and petrology imaging software
- Nicolet iS5 FTIR Spectrometer
- Laboratory preparation equipment
- Agricultural industrial equipment including robotic systems, tractors, forklifts, grain cleaners
- ARC GIS software, Mathmatica, MacThellier and PmagPy Thellier software, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft products, MAC and PC experience
- N.A. Jelinski, D. Mulligan, A. Williams, J.M. Feinberg, M.D. Stillinger. Permafrost-Affected Soils and Ecological Sites in the Copper River Basin, Alaska. Soil Science Society of America International Annual Meetings. Phoenix, AZ, October, 2017.
- Poster Presentation: The Near East Archaeomagnetic Dating Curve (NEAC): A Complementary Geochronometer for Building Robust Archaeological Chronologies. Archaeology Institute of America’s Archaeology Day, Macalester College, Minneapolis, MN, October 2016.
- Poster Presentation: The Near East Archaeomagnetic Dating Curve (NEAC): A Complementary Geochronometer for Building Robust Archaeological Chronologies. Geological Society of America Convention, Denver, CO, September 2016.
- Oral Presentation: Archaeomagnetic Dating at Khirbet Summeily: New results and their application to addressing the Iron I/IIA chronology debate. American Schools of Oriental Research Convention, Atlanta, GA, November 2015.
- Oral Presentation: Archaeomagnetic Dating: Using the record of the Earth’s magnetic field stored in fired ceramics as a new complementary dating method. Central States Anthropological Society Meeting, Saint Paul, MN, April 2015.
- Oral Presentation: Archaeomagnetic Dating: Using the record of the Earth’s magnetic field stored in fired ceramics as a complementary dating method. Earth Sciences Research Symposium, Minneapolis, MN, April 2015.
- Oral Presentation: Archaeomagnetic Dating of Iron Age Artifacts from Khirbet Summeily. American Schools of Oriental Research Convention, Baltimore, MD, November 2013.
- Poster Presentation: Archaeomagnetic Dating of Bronze Age Pottery in Syria: new intensity data for 2300 to 1000 BCE. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, November 2013.
- Oral Presentation: Archaeomagnetic Dating of Ceramics from the Levant, Addressing the High and Low Chronology Debate. American Schools of Oriental Research Convention, Chicago, IL, November 2012.
- Poster Presentation: Archaeointensity Dating of Bronze Age Pottery at Tell Mozan (Ancient Urkesh), Syria. Geological Society of America Convention, Minneapolis, MN, 2011.
- Poster Presentation: Archaeointensity Dating of Bronze Age Pottery at Tell Mozan (Ancient Urkesh), Syria. Archaeological Institute of America’s Archaeology Day, Saint Paul, MN, 2011.
Recent Volunteer and Community Outreach
- Minnesota Academy of Sciences: High School Science Bowl Moderator and Science Fair Judge, 2016 to present.
- Chair of Community Outreach and Education for the Anthropological, Environmental, and Geological Interdisciplinary Sciences group (AEGIS) 2015-to 2018.
- Community Outreach: Women in Science Discovery Day, Bakken Museum, MN, March 2016.
- K-12 Outreach: Earth Sciences Department, Spring 2016
- K-12 Outreach: Hiawatha Leadership Academy Archaeology Day, Mpls., MN, November 2015.
- Graduate student representative to ESCI Faculty Mtgs, 2014
- Coordinator: Evolutionary Anthropology Lab, CSE Family Math and Science Fair 2011.
- Co-Chair: U of MN Graduate Student Archaeology Consortium, 2010-2011.
- Volunteer: Science Museum of Minnesota, Science writer for Mayan Archaeology project, 2009
- Volunteer: Evolutionary Anthropology Lab, 2008-2011.
- Master Gardener and Community Educator: University of Minnesota Extension Service, 2003-2008.